Monday, June 4, 2012

i've had better...a few things that i won't miss about BsAs

With 26 days left in Buenos Aires, there are a lot of things I'm going to miss. There are also a number of things I can't wait to say chau to.

Here's a few things that I just simply need to do a little venting about.

The first thing being-
I'm tired of being "mami'd" and "puta'd". To the many doormen, young men, old men, boys still in their school uniforms...I am not your mami, bebe, chica, flaquita, puta or whatever else you want to throw at me as I walk or run past you. It's one thing to look me up and down like a machismo-ridden creep, but asking me if I wanna get with you as I'm running past you on the street, even though we both know I'd never actually respond, is getting on my GODDAMN nerves. This is one cultural difference that I don't feel flattered by and have a hard time getting behind.

The second thing-

Can a chick mail a letter around here? Once again, I understand and accept that there are both cultural and systemic differences that come with being in a foreign country. Having said that, I would like to introduce Argentina to the concept of a MAILBOX. To send any postcards back to the US, I have to go to a post office (which are not terrifically common) and buy the stamps there and watch the employee post them for me. I just want to buy some fucking stamps and post my own damn letters in a mailbox.

Third (and for now final) thing-

STREET SIGNS. Buenos Aires overwhelmingly must feel they are too cool for proper and consistent street signs. I can go for four or five blocks easily and not see a SINGLE, even poorly posted, street sign. I can tell you firsthand that when you're trying to figure out where to get off the damn bus in Buenos Aires, don't count on street signs to help you. It's such a simple (and probably silly) thing but proper street signs can go a LONGG way in helping you know where the hell you are.

That's all for now kids.

-j

No comments:

Post a Comment