Tuesday, March 27, 2012

one month mark and more arte es...

So, Friday marked one month of being in BA. Hard to believe I've been here that long but when I think about how differently I feel now in comparison to that first week, I believe it. I am still getting to know the city, (pretty sure I'll be saying that even as I board the plane to come home though)and I'm more comfortable with exploring and taking risks. Classes have started and while I'm not in love with any of them, except my poetry class maybe, I am learning a lot of things outside of them.

Last Friday my friend Chelsea picked up free tickets to go see an orchestra at Teatro Colon. I'd been there earlier in the week for a class visit but when I saw the teatro lit up at night for a performance, it took my breath away. The lights on the balconies of the seven levels reminded me somewhat of the scene in Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire when they're at the Quidditch world cup (yeah I just made a HP reference). It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. When the music started, I closed my eyes and felt like I was floating on the notes. At the risk of sounding like both a nerd and a hippie, the best I can describe how I felt is to say it felt as though my soul were being fed by the music, the lights, the sheer beauty of my surroundings.

On Saturday I went with Chelsea to the Recoleta feria close to my apartment and we got six new phrases and photos for the "Arte es..." project. It was easier to get into the swing of asking people and we found some great characters. One woman was very zen about it when we asked her, she had such a quiet but vibrant energy about her and I loved it. Another was a woman and her friend (they looked like sisters) who were from Hawaii. I wished I had asked them how the hell they ended up in Buenos Aires. They gave us their info card and asked for the website where the photos are being posted (www.fokus.org/artis/)so maybe I can retroactively inquire..
Another character was a man selling handmade hats. I had been questing for someone selling their own HANDMADE hats, I saw a lot of mass-produced ones but there's something deeply personal about handmade hats, there's a pride in them. This man agreed to be part of the project and put on one of his hats for the photo. Gotta love it!

I am so glad that I got my shit together to make the Art is... project happen in BA. I feel so lucky that Chelsea hopped on board with her camera, don't think I could do the project the way I want to without a partner in crime. Cheers to people being in the right place at the right time. For me there's something so beautiful about being able to share what I'm passionate about with other people and use art to enrich my experience in Argentina. It's really just further confirmation to me that incorporating your passion into what you do will lead to crazy awesome incredible things, opportunities, people, experiences. It's easier for people to vibe with you when you're doing something you honestly love. It shows :)

Damn, that was a bit sappy wasn't it?

To seal my fate as a earthy crunchy nerd, I'm going with a group of friends to an Eco Yoga park this weekend-vegan/vegetarian food, yoga sessions, music therapy, theoretical discussions, run by Hari Krishnas. I'm so excited for it.

We've come to the end of another snippet in my life.
stay tuned for more..assuming I come back from the hippie farm.

-j

No comments:

Post a Comment