Monday, March 5, 2012

rain rain go away..wait, this class won't count?!

Today I had my first Spanish class at IES. It went great, small class size, chill professor, etcet. Later today, I find out that the class level won't count for me because it is the equivalent to a course I took at U-M. Well shit. So now I am in the process of trying to get the class counted for something else or if I have to, try and switch into the next higher level. I don't think I'll be too screwed over if I can't switch and it won't count but it'll be crappy.

Apart from that, I went to UMSA, the local BA university I'll take one class from. It was fine, they fed us. Then after registering to sit in on classes during the "trial period", I look outside to see it POURING. I am wearing moccasins. Balls, or rather soggy mocs.

I brave the rain because a taxi just isn't in the budget and make it home. I drop off my laundry and a few hours later, I pick it up, folded and fresh and nothing markedly shrunken or ruined.

At least that went well. And since it is once again a weeknight, I get dinner from my homestay. Savings!! Hahah. But really, when you're on a budget and a fair number of things in the future depend on you staying as on budget as possible, it can be a wee bit stressful when EVERYTHING seems to start costing money. Do the best you can, and pinch pesos where possible.

So here I sit, listening to the thunder and some old jazz standard coming from my host parents bedroom, doggedly plodding ahead.

besitos
-j

No comments:

Post a Comment